Monday, October 15, 2007

the 'new-old' me says hi.

I write this on my way back to school for another of my routine Monday marketing meetings. As I left my house just now, I wanted to take a lift down to the ground floor and promptly pressed '4' instead of '1'. The simple explanation for this is that I normally don't take the lift down, I only take the lift up. Hence my routine as I step into is to press '4'. Get the drift of this post yet?

Over the past couple of days, a little bird told me that boys and girls from years back have started hooking up with each other. The pairings, though have not caused me to lose my appetite, definitely caused me to choke on a prawn or two. The obvious question is why they never found each other attractive from years back and only now decide that maybe in that elusive search, they are the one; surely the change hasn't been that great? Maybe the 'new-old' friends really have something to offer now that previously wasn't desired.

I took a look in my life and realized, maybe there really is a case for familiarity. We wake up at a fixed time (or at least try) to get to school and work in the morning, some need to shit every morning or they’re cranky, some need their caffeine shots. I'm still using my pencil box from secondary school, wearing slippers that I bought in '03 (there's a familiar smell I like), having the same hair-cut and barber, the list goes on. In today's minefield of social relationships and networks, the people I fall back on are still folks from waaay back. In relationships, sometimes it's just a tad bit too tiring trying to learn another person's habits and try to compromise again. It's simply easier to drop back a comfort zone of friendships (which led to relationships in some cases) which have been built on years of foundation, where you can dig your nose and comfortably be gross. So maybe that's where the gold really lies.

Now before you start going,' But Xihao, we should never remain in our comfort zones, we should always step out of them and try new things! Isn't that what you always preach and talk about?' Yeah, but I'm talking about life experiences. I reckon relationships are a tad more complicated than life experiences. I could go out and conquer 10 Ironmans consecutively, climb Mt Everest and swim across the Pacific Ocean but I can tell you, I will STILL come back clueless about why the hell I did some of the things I did previously. Such is my stupidity.

I'm pretty intrigued by this whole matter. I know how I am with old friends, but I don't know how I sit with the new friends and how the 'new-old' me goes with the 'new-old' friends. Tongue-twister but I put it there just to be cute. I'm not keen on that last option though; baggage overload. But then again, baggage can be thrown away right?

Ah damn. Time to get off at my routine bus stop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home